November 11

I'm thankful that my Grandma and my mom were/are good cooks, and I was able to learn a lot from them.  I'm by no means chef-quality, but I think I fall on the above average side.  And it's all due to Gigi & Lolo. 

I always say that cooking is an art & baking is a science.  While proportion, temperature & times are extremely important for baked goods to turn out edible, savory dishes have more room for play.  To change things around and tailor it to your tastes.  I have a ton of recipes that I follow, but I also love that I can wing it.  When I'm bored with all our usual suspects, or like currently, payday is a few days away and I really don't want to go to the store again before then.  I can pull out meat from the freezer, look at what we have in the cupboard and make something up.  Most of the time, it works out nicely.  Sometimes too well and T will say "OMG you have to make this again".  But it's tough cookies because I don't know what I did & nothing is exactly measured. 

I loved hanging out in the kitchen with my grandma as a kid.  And then with my mom as an adult.  I love that we'll call each other because we've found a recipe that we think we can tweak & we want input from the other.  I hope that I can have that same relationship with H.  And B, for that matter.  There's nothing wrong with a boy who's got skills with food! :)


Comments

Popular Posts